Erling Haaland Shatters Premier League Record with 35 Goals and Counting in a Single Season
Erling Haaland, the talented striker from Manchester City, has achieved a remarkable feat in the English Premier League. With an exquisite lobbed finish in the 70th minute of a match against West Ham, Haaland became the first player in history to score 35 goals in a single EPL season. This milestone surpasses the previous record of 34 goals set by Andy Cole and Alan Shearer during the 1990s when the league comprised 22 teams.
Match Highlights: In the game held at the Etihad Stadium, Nathan Ake opened the scoring for Manchester City with a header five minutes into the second half. Shortly after, Haaland, assisted by Jack Grealish, brilliantly found the net, cementing his record-breaking achievement. The scoring was completed by Phil Foden, marking City’s 1,000th goal under manager Pep Guardiola since his appointment in 2016.
Haaland’s Exceptional Record: Impressively, Haaland achieved this milestone in only his 31st appearance in the Premier League. His remarkable goal-scoring prowess and consistent performance have earned him well-deserved recognition from his teammates and manager. After the game, Haaland was congratulated by his fellow players, while Manager Guardiola arranged a special guard of honor for the record-breaker as he left the field.
Top 10 Premier League Goal Scorers in a Single Season:
The list below shows the top scorers in a single Premier League season, with Haaland now leading the pack with his extraordinary achievement:
- Erling Haaland – 35* goals for Manchester City in 2022/23
- Andy Cole – 34 goals for Newcastle in 1993/94
- Alan Shearer – 34 goals for Blackburn in 1994/95
- Mo Salah – 32 goals for Liverpool in 2017/18
- Luis Suarez – 31 goals for Liverpool in 2013/14
- Cristiano Ronaldo – 31 goals for Manchester United in 2007/08
- Alan Shearer – 31 goals for Blackburn in 1995/96
- Kevin Phillips – 30 goals for Sunderland in 1999/2000
- Thierry Henry – 30 goals for Arsenal in 2003/04
- Robin van Persie – 30 goals for Arsenal in 2011/12
Erling Haaland has etched his name into Premier League history by breaking the long-standing record for the most goals scored in a single season. His 35-goal feat surpasses the previous record held by Andy Cole and Alan Shearer. Haaland’s incredible achievement in just 31 appearances demonstrates his exceptional talent and impact on the field. Football enthusiasts worldwide eagerly await his future performances as he continues to captivate the sport with his remarkable skills.